Digital & Dark Room Photography
Intro to Photography - give cameras to those who need them, use cell phones if they have one. Show great editing apps for cell phones.
2. Intro to Photoshop
3. Photography Settings and what it all means - ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc.
4. .History of Photography- first photos and how photos changed the world
5. Language and Photography - Take a photo. Make a new document 11 x 8.5. Move your photo into your new document and size to fit. Edit it and add a quote, poetry, song lyrics or your own words to your edited image. Print it out!
6. Re-create a Photograph - Look for a photograph online which you would like to re-create. Analyze the original photo for composition and lighting and re-create the photo as closely as you can. Post your photo on your blog with the original photograph. 7.. Magazine Cover - Self-Portrait Create a magazine cover 8.5 x 11”, using your own photographic image. Include the name of the magazine and a list of articles, which would be within the magazine. Make it look as authentic as possible! Print it out!
8.. Diptych: A story of Opposites: Make a diptych image (2 images together), with the theme of opposites. In Photoshop make a new document 11 x 17”, landscape style, and fit your two photographs within the one document.
9.. Food Photography -Look at good samples of food photography. Choose 3 photos of food that you really enjoy looking at and write a paragraph explaining how you think the lighting was achieved in the photos.
-Then, pretend you are a studio food photographer and photograph food using the studio lighting set-up.
10.. Movie Poster of your Life- -Look at movie posters online and put 3 that you like on your blog with an explanation what is it that captures your eye and that you like about these movie posters. Then make your poster in Photoshop 11 x17”, portrait style. Make sure to include the title, at least one original photograph, the actors who will be in the movie, a catch phrase, and a rating.
11.. Sensory Series - Create a series of photos where people are touching, smelling, seeing, etc in some way. ZOOM IN and learn about macro lenses
12.. Close Up Portraits: Take close up portraits of some of your classmates. You can use any type of lighting you choose, but make sure to compose as a close up composition. Post 3 portraits of different individuals to your blog and include a list of 10 words in the caption section of each photograph to describe that person. How to make skin clear: Read this online article about How to Use the Clone Stamp tool in Photoshop to make clear skin. http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-use-the-clone-stamp-tool-in-photoshop-to-make-clear-skin/
13.PHOTOMONTAGE: WHERE YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS Make a well blended digital photomontage 11 x 17” to show where you see yourself in 10 years. Under your photomontage write a 3 paragraph reflection explaining the elements you put in your work.
14. FINAL Photography Business Powerpoint
You will start a (pretend) photography business either by yourself or in partnership with one of your peer students. Create a Powerpoint Presentation to present to the class and include the items on the list below.
* Business Name and Logo (make a logo in Photoshop for your business. Research photo business logos online to get ideas)
* Your name as sole owner or names of the two members in the partnership.
*What are the roles of the partners (ex: president, vice president, photographer, editor/retoucher, sales and marketing etc…)
* Where will you conduct your business? (which state will you live, will you work out of your home or rent office space in which location)
*Address and phone # (pretend)
* The type of photography you specialize in, and the types of jobs you intend to get.
* Samples of work you would like to produce for your clients. (not your current work, but work from online which is the type of work you would like to produce)
* Your web site address (pretend)
* What equipment will you be using? (cameras, lenses, strobes, flash, studio set up, hot lights, gels, etc)
* Who are your inspirations?
* Branding: Create a logo for your business and also make a business card (Make your business card a 3.5 x 2.5 300 res document in Photoshop). Include your logo and business card in your Powerpoint.
* Marketing: Include a slide about how are you going to advertise and get jobs in your field?
* Market Research: How much money you would like to make in your first year of business, and how much you foresee making in 5 years, and also in 10 years.
Lights, Camera, Action!
Movies to Watch
WATCH COMPLETELY Back to the Future
CLIPS OF Psycho - Thrillers
CLIPS OF A Hard Day’s Night - Handheld, homemade movies. How it changed film forever
WATCH COMPLETELY Mad Max Fury Road - Difference about how men vs women see action and talk about dystopian worlds.
CLIPS OF Spirited Away - Japanese filmmaking and talk about stop motion work.